Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Book Quotes

Have you ever read a line in a book that you had to re-read? Not because you couldn't understand it, but because it was so beautiful? Sometimes this happens to me, but currently I am reading  Les Misérables, and I find myself doing this all the time. So, I've started a notes (one of those yellow notepad things) on my iPhone to write them down and remember them. Here's just a few: 

"M. Gillenormand...was one of those men who have become curiosities, simply because they have lived a long time; and who are strange, because formerly they were like everybody else, and now they are no longer like anybody else" 

"What a spectacle is night! We hear dull sounds, not knowing whence they come; we see Jupiter, twelve hundred times larger than earth, glistening like an ember, the welkin is black, the stars sparkle, it is terror-inspiring" 

"The soul helps the body, and at certain moments uplifts it. It is the only bird which sustains its cage."  

"Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise" 



I think it would be so great to do something with quotes like these... maybe some thing like:









Of course some of my most favorite quotes come from Pride and Prejudice: 



4 comments:

  1. Okay... I was stalking your pinterest and ended up on YOUR BLOG!! We need to hang out when we're both in Round Rock and diy together!! I love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica!

      I can't believe I'm just now seeing this!! The next time I'll probably see your beautiful face will be when you're GETTING MARRIED. Woah! Hope you're doing wonderful!

      Delete
  2. hi! Somehow randomly came from friend's pinterest to here. I don't even have a pinterest. I feel like a stalker. Oh well! This entry was awesome and I do the same thing-- highlight book quotes and write notes in the margins for things that speak out to me. After I finish a book, I write my favorite quote on the back cover. A few of my recent favorites:

    "...because the only people for me are the mad ones-- the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.." --Jack Kerouac's "On The Road"

    “I wanted so badly to lie down next to her on the couch, to wrap my arms around her and sleep. Not fuck, like in those movies. Not even have sex. Just sleep together in the most innocent sense of the phrase. But I lacked the courage and she had a boyfriend and I was gawky and she was gorgeous and I was hopelessly boring and she was endlessly fascinating. So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane.” --John Green's "Looking For Alaska"

    “On that piece of white paper, sam wrote, "Write about me sometime." and I typed something back to her, standing right there in her bedroom. I just typed. "I will.”" -- Stephen Chbowsky's "Perks of Being A Wallflower"

    You should write more. okcoolthanksbye

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh,

    I just came onto my blog to see if it even existed any more and came across your kind comment. I loved each of the quotes you gave and I actually read the perks of being a wallflower this summer...

    I wrote on the margins on page (at least on my version) 127 when Mary Elizabeth (who tries to be the ultimate feminist) asks Charlie if he thinks shes beautiful. I found it ironic and almost sad that even someone who identifies themselves as a feminist still struggles with beauty.

    And then I wrote a shocked face when Charlie kissed Sam after being dared to kiss the prettiest girl in the room when he was dating Mary Elizabeth hahah. Probably didn't help poor Mary Elizabeth feel any better about her looks.

    I know I'm terrible at writing on this blog but please know I appreciate your kind words!!

    ReplyDelete