Pages

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Things Happy People Do

I just finished reading over this article and found it extremely interesting.


I found that I do almost all the things on this list quite regularly.


I do however have one that I felt stuck out like a sore thumb.
"They devote some of their time to giving." 
I hardly volunteer. I'd like to use the excuse that I'm a busy college student, but aren't we all busy? I would truly love to find something to connect with and get that "helper's high". What a feeling... feeling so overjoyed because you helped another person? What a vague concept for us selfish human beings. But, isn't it so awesome that all the things that lead to depression, loneliness and sadness are self-seeking and it is the opposite of those that lead to happiness? Sure, you may argue that a few extra z's are self seeking, but at church this morning the pastor mentioned how you are really abiding by God's plan for you if you rest. We all need to recharge our batteries and think ourselves sometimes, but the key is to not make it all the time.

I also heard this week from my yoga instructor that people who are anxiety ridden do better on tests if they take the time to write down things that mean a lot to them before starting the exam. Crazy huh? I think I shall try it.

Just a thought of the day.



Ps. A few things that make me happy:
Clean sheets
A purring cat
Bubble baths
A dancing flame on a scented candle
A good book
Plugging in the Christmas lights above my bed
Going on a walk
Fall winds
Making a painting for a gift
Having deep conversations with my roommates
Listening to good music
Driving with my windows down
Yoga class
A good cappuccino
Playing my guitar
Cuddling up in bed and watching Netflix
A starry night
A harvest moon
Changing leaves
White Sheets
Picnics
The Sea
Worshiping the Lord (especially on the top of the parking garage during a windy, clear night).  

All pictures from this wonder tumblr. Just looking at this website makes me happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment